KX News, in Bismarck, ND is looking for a self-motivated digital content producer to join our thriving digital news team. This career opportunity requires strong editorial and news judgments skills and experience producing digital content in an active news environment. Team collaboration and the ability to work independently are required in creating original content in reporting local, regional, state news and breaking news stories.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Produce a steady stream of interesting original content as well as content shared from other stations in the company.
- Quick to report breaking news.
- Always on the hunt for exclusive and/or trending content.
- Excellent at writing headlines that grow audience and engagement without being considered “click bait.”
- Reports news in a way designed to attract readers while staying on-brand.
- Understand different ways to tell a story, particularly producing short videos and choosing great photos from station archives and stock photography options.
- Evaluate website traffic trends to make decisions on both daily content needs and, in concert with the team, long-term content curation.
- Build positive working relationships with station staff and management, work collaboratively on digital content original for the platform, and create opportunities to market web content on broadcast.
- Distribute news content on social media in line with station social media strategy.
- Reviews copy and will correct errors in content, grammar, and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines.
Requirements and Skills:
- Organized, technical problem solver and quick decision maker.
- Capable of researching, interviewing, and writing original news articles.
- Knowledge of SEO best practices and AP style.
- Ability to learn new technology and applications independently and quickly.
- Strong working knowledge and experience with an online CMS (knowledge of WordPress is a plus)
- Strong grasp of posting to various social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and IGTV.
- Excellent reading, writing, spelling, grammar, and organizational skills.
- Write in a smart, conversational, and sharable manner with a creative format and AP style.
- Basic Photoshop and editing skills.
- Basic HTML knowledge.
- Ability to shoot mobile video for digital platforms a plus.
- Some schedule flexibility (nights, weekends, early mornings)
- Bachelor’s degree (work experience and military service will be considered in lieu of)