KXMC, the CBS affiliate in our sports loving Bismarck-Minot market, has a rare opening in our Sports Department. We are looking for a Sports MMJ-Reporter.
We are committed to sports. In addition to our daily sports coverage, we also produce a special 30-minute sports show every Sunday called, “After the Whistle” on our CBS channel.
The successful candidate will be someone who loves and understands sports and who can connect with the community, both on TV and digitally, through superior game/event coverage and by telling the stories of local athletes, teams and coaches on the high school, and college level.
This position requires an individual capable of doing it all. The Sports MMJ/Reporter will shoot, edit, produce and report their content. Must be active and knowledgeable of social media with the expectation that content will be updated on kxnet.com, Facebook, and Twitter. The Sports MMJ/Reporter will perform work for all media platforms and initiatives, including on-air, web, digital, and social media.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Reports, shoots, and edits sports stories in a clear and concise manner
- Researches, reports, and covers sporting events, sports news, and sports feature stories with an intense focus on high school football, college, and professional teams
- Work closely with the sports team to develop and plan comprehensive sports coverage
- Deliver live reports in the field
- Write stories for the station’s website
- Interact with viewers and users on social media platforms
- Respond to breaking sports events and other urgent newsroom situations as required
- Participate in promotional activities including public appearances
- Perform special projects and other duties as assigned
Requirements & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
- Comprehensive knowledge of sports and sports related activities
- Fluency in English
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to effectively listen, fully understand problems, and communicate with a team to shape a solution
- Valid driver’s license with a good driving record
- Must have flexibility with scheduling due to the ever-changing nature of sports journalism.